Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reader Dilemma: "Help! I Want to Look Amazing When I See My Ex Next Month. What Can I Do to Get in Shape--Fast?"

Oh, isn't this the--secret--concern of every person everywhere (whether you want to admit it or not, or whether it's an ex or just an old pal)? If you have some big event on the calendar in the next few weeks or month and want to do what you can to get svelte beforehand, Jessica Simpson's trainer has some advice for you ...


Vitamin G reader Tanya asks: "I'm going to be seeing my ex next month at a wedding. We're both single again, and I still have feelings for him. I gained a little weight over the winter, and I'd really like to slim down and look great for our meeting. Help!! What can I do?"


While it's unlikely that you're going to change your shape in major ways, you can tone up and get a glowing, svelte look by putting in some hard work. Mike Alexander, owner of MADfit training studio in Beverly Hills, has worked Jessica Simpson and Ashlee Simpson, Kristin Chenoweth and Amanda Bynes. Here's his advice:


"Diet is very important," he says. "You have to eat really clean [low fat, few meat dishes, high veggie and fruit content] because every calorie counts at that point. At the same time, you don't want to cut out too much. It's important to eat because if you don't your body's going to hang on to the calories it does get and go into starvation mode. For exercise, I'd recommend doing two-a-day workouts: In the morning do cardio and in the afternoon do a quick weight workout with high reps. That will burn fat and create muscle tone."


Good advice! But, it's important to remind anyone doing a crunch-fitness approach to not overdo it, and scale back after the big event. Let's be real, working out twice a day is tough and unrealistic for the long term.


Do you have some event on the calendar that you want to look great for?


P.S. Another fitness option for those who seriously want to get in shape: "Insanity Fitness." This new trend pairs eating with exercise--hmmm. And, the celeb-trainer-approved 10-minute workout!

0 comments:

Post a Comment