Sunday, March 20, 2011

Let's Talk About Brooke Shields Virginity Comments, and Her Sex-Weight Connection

I think Brooke Shields is pretty much great. In fact, her Volkswagen minivan commercials have almost convinced me that I need one. Note, the word "almost." But what do you make of her comments in the new issue of Health magazine about virginity, sex and weight? Let's talk about this...


****


(P.S. Come on over to Little Miss Fortune today to see photos of my self-haircutting exploits!)


Brooke Shields is speaking out in this issue of Health about losing her virginity at 22. Here's what she had to say about wishing she'd lost it sooner:


"I think I would have had sex a lot earlier!" the actress jokes in the June issue of Health magazine. "I think I would have lost my virginity earlier than I did at 22. I had the public and this pressure, and I wish I had just gotten it over with in the beginning, when it was sort of OK. I think I could have been much more in touch with myself."


If she had sex earlier, she continues, "I think I wouldn't have had issues with weight--I carried this protective 20 pounds [in college]," she says. "It was all connected."


OK, go ahead and call me a prude, but here's what struck me as odd about this:


*22 is not an embarrassing or regrettable age to lose your virginity. I don't think Brooke should have any regrets about waiting this long--if anything, she might have saved herself from some heartache and maybe even avoided STDs (who knows--it was the 1980s, right?).


*On the sex-weight-body-image connection: I don't know, I'm not really buying the claim that having sex makes you feel better about your weight/body image--especially if you're young and in an immature relationship. I think this message can be totally taken the wrong way.


Be sure to read the latest sexual health news from Glamour's very own Dr. H!


What do you think of Brooke's statements? Do you wish you had sex earlier, or are you happy with the age in which you lost your virginity? Do you buy into the whole sex-weight-body image connection?

0 comments:

Post a Comment