Saturday, March 5, 2011

Body Image: Are You Obsessed With Looking and Staying Young? (Why Many of Us Are)

I have a confession: The other day at the store I bought some anti-aging beauty products--for the first time. Did I mention that I'm 30? Maybe I've gotten to "the age" when you start checking for gray hairs and smile lines and under-eye puffiness--things I never really thought about much in my twenties. The quest to hang on to our youthfulness, it turns out, is a new American phenomenon...


****


In this article about how more people--even younger people--are turning to anti-aging cosmetics, treatments, surgeries, even new clinics specializing in "age management" to maintain their youthfulness, I found this quote from a 23-year-old woman in Chicago: "I'll age until I'm 25. Then I'm over it." In other words, she'll allow herself to age to 25, then it's time to start getting serious about turning back the clock.


Yikes--when did it start to be all downhill after 25? While I think a certain amount of worry about things like wrinkles is totally normal, becoming obsessed with looking young isn't.


Would you agree? And when did you start paying attention to aging, and, like me, buying anti-aging cosmetics? In your twenties, thirties, forties--right now?

0 comments:

Post a Comment