Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Your Happiness: Are You Best Friend-less?

Do you have a best friend? No, not your boyfriend or your sister (though these are great stand ins!). I'm talking about the woman (or man) in your life--the friend--whom you have bestowed the hallowed title of "best friend." More thoughts on BFFs and our happiness after the jump ...


****


I have an army of fabulous, supportive and wonderful female friends, but I don't consider any of them "best." Truth is, I'm a little gun shy about best friends after a horrible best friend blowup several years ago (and "blowup" is actually an understatement). But I can't help but wonder--especially when I hear people talking about "my best friend" this, or "my best friend" that--if I'm missing out. (And this photo slideshow of Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox-Arquette's long-running friendship doesn't help!)


Maybe you're in the same boat: lots of good friends, close friends even, but no BFF. Ever wonder if an honest to goodness, through-thick-and-thin best friend is that final piece of the happiness puzzle that you're looking for?


Well, one study sort of debunks that myth. Researchers found that having at least 10 good friends, not just one special one, is the secret to a happy life. So maybe the one-and-only best friend thing is a bit overblown ...


What do you think? Have you been happiest with a "best friend" in your life?


P.S. Joanna over at Smitten posted something recently on how to meet more close gal friends--good advice here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment