Saturday, April 14, 2012

Breakfast At Your Desk: Have You Tried the New Icelandic Yogurt?

Morning my dears! A new exotic yogurt has hit the grocery store, and of course, the second I saw it, I loaded up my cart. (Yes, I get excited about new yogurt!) Let me tell you what I think of this new, and sort of unusual, "Icelandic" yogurt...


Side note: Is it just me, or is there a big Iceland boom going on right now? I have two friends (and one editor!) who are either in Iceland right now or have gone recently.


So, people are talking about Siggi, a new "strained" Icelandic-style yogurt that is now being sold at Whole Foods (and other stores--keep an eye out).


I bought some Siggi yogurt and took it for a test run. The verdict? Really good, but very different than the yogurt we're used to. Here's what to expect with Siggi:


*It's thick and creamy, sort of like Greek yogurt.


*It's very tart. This surprised me at first, but it's a really appealing kind of tart.


*It isn't very sweet. (This could be a turn-off to some, but not me.)


*It's the closest thing I've found in the U.S. to European-style yogurt. (I once fell in love with yogurt in Paris. Seriously, I nearly cried when I had to fly home knowing that the yogurt in my hometown just wasn't the same!)


*Flavors include blueberry, acai, vanilla, orange + ginger (yum) and plain.


Another tidbit: Siggi's yogurt cups are so thin, they almost feel like paper! Here's why: They use as much as 50 percent less plastic than traditional yogurt cups. Cool, huh?


Anyway, I'm definitely a new Siggi convert. Wish it wasn't so pricey, though. $2+ for a cup of yogurt in this economy isn't exactly making me feel great, but a little treat now and then? Well worth it!


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment