Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dear Nia Vardalos, I Think You're Pretty Much Fabulous

I loved her in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," and I can't wait to see her new flick, "My Life In Ruins." But Nia Vardalos is way more than a great actress and writer, I think she's a great role model. I loved what she had to say recently about weight and the big fat sexist double standard...


****


Here's what Nia had to say recently while guest blogging on CNN.com:


On her weight loss: "It's just weight. Just 40 pounds of fat now gone from my body, but wow, it's pretty much all I get asked about. In the last year, I got to star in a movie, wrote and directed my next one, and adopted a three year old from American Foster Care. But guess what I'm asked...how did I lose the weight?"


On starring in a leading role with "average girl" looks: "On the publicity tour of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding,' I was asked over and over again, if, as the writer, I felt it was a fair depiction of real life to have someone of my er, below average looks, hook up with hottie John Corbett. It's been years, and I have sat through many a movie like 'Sideways,' where nobody blinks an eye when Paul Giamatti gets together with gorgeous Virginia Madsen. And, then 'Knocked Up'..." She adds that there's a "double standard for women. Whatever, yawn, we all know it, perpetuate it. ...Socially, the issue of men's weight is simply not a big deal. Let's face it: Russell Crowe is fat and no one ever talks about it. Alec Baldwin just orders his suits a size bigger and we continue to swoon." (P.S. Have you ever had a "fat day"?)


On how she lost 40 pounds: "It was really hard, but I did it through exercise, and it took a year."


On being called "fat": "Hey, just say fat. I love the word fat. I used it in the title. It's actually not a naughty word. We give it a power it actually doesn't have. So, you're fat. Big deal." (Read about whether Vitamin G readers think fat is a bad word or not.)


Don't you just love the woman?

0 comments:

Post a Comment